Mecca breaks multiple records at rifle competition
By Coach Richard Ortlepp from the Section VI newsletter dated May 2011
Dominique Mecca, an 11th grader at Orchard Park High School, has rewritten the ECIC record book this year. She has tied or broken all 5 individual records:
• Prone 100-10C (10 perfect center shots) tied record set in 1988 by James Meger (Lancaster)
• Offhand (standing) 97-07C breaks record (96-06) held by Jacob Genovics, Alden 2003
• Kneeling 100-05C breaks record (99-07) held by Chris Koss, Clarence 2005
• Aggregate (overall) 294-15C breaks record (293.12) held by Brian Curtis, Alden 1990
• League Average 287.12 breaks record (285.75) held by Brian Curtis, Alden 1989-90
The NYSPHSAA Rifle Regionals were fired at the US Military Academy (West Point) on March 5. New this year were the targets the athletes were firing at. The target was the USA 50, a more difficult target used by colleges. This was the first year that the athletes fired at these targets, having used A-36 targets in previous competition.
Dominique fired an aggregate (overall) score of 292/300 (old record 291 on the A-36 target) set in 1991 by Brian
Curtis of Alden. Firing in this match were the best of each section. The closest individual had a score of 282. Dominique has the New State Record.
She fired a 95/100 in the offhand (standing) position winning 1st place and setting another record. The closest competitor had a 90. Dominique also fired a 98 in the kneeling position, won 1st place set another record.
In the prone she and the winner both fired 99/100, but the winner, Leanne Highby of South Lewis HS, had one more center (perfect shot) or else she would have had a clean sweep of the individual championships.